This is my bit of a blog. Rambling words about rambling days. No focus and nothing ambitious. I seem to write most about local color, nature, and animals, and there is an incomplete chunk about my road trips of 2011.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Tiny Massacre

Ekati, the kitten, and I are still working out our sleeping arrangements. She thinks it's great fun when I've wound down and, finally, slip into bed for some peaceful Zs. Perfect time to play-hunt all around and upon the horizontal human, pouncing on every rustle of the blanket, real and imagined, and upon her person's very face. She can entertain herself in this fashion for at least 40 minutes straight and return to the game repeatedly throughout the night.

I shut her in the bathroom last night. As it's the only room with a door so far! And I keep it a little heated for the pipes. And suspected it may be an entry point for our adorable little gray mice friends seeking warmth in this premature cold snap.

I woke this morning to a dead little gray mouse on the bathroom floor. Good kitten, I told Ekati. Took me a minute or two to see all the scuffs around the floor I'd washed by hand just yesterday were not just the usual debris of this ol' place - but the bloody smears of a tiny massacre.

My forensic analysis suggests the mice are entering through the basin drain, popping up beneath the pop-up stopper.

Post a Comment