This is my bit of a blog. Rambling words about rambling days. No focus and nothing ambitious. I seem to write most about local color, nature, and animals, and there is an incomplete chunk about my road trips of 2011.

Saturday, May 30, 2015

Turtle in the Road

I am so happy to be back home. The weather the weeks since we've been back has been so beautiful. The whole place just seems absolutely idyllic.

I took Athena for a "num-num walk" this evening. I fed her grapes, as we walked along the gravel road. There was gentle, late-day sunlight in the long grass tops and a background chorus of birdsong. No human sounds at all, not even any neighbor mowing grass. Just perfect. Athena stopped to kiss or smell (I'm not sure) various wildflowers and toss gravel in the puddles we passed. Our tabby cat, Ekati, followed along, weaving in and out of the brush along the road.

On the way back, we saw a large turtle, whose shell was covered with algae, in the road. Athena made to run at it, but I told her to "make room," and she listened and held up. In an act of unusual bravery, Ekati approached it, cautiously, head-on, to about two feet away, then sniffed. The turtle was bigger than she. After a short time, I told her, "OK, let's go," and she backed slowly away and then gave the turtle a wide berth.

Post a Comment