This is my bit of a blog. Rambling words about rambling days. No focus and nothing ambitious. I seem to write most about local color, nature, and animals, and there is an incomplete chunk about my road trips of 2011.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Shed Organization

Besides the falling-down barn, there are four tiny outbuildings on this place. Shirley left two of them pretty full of stuff. Motley troves to which I added, with careless convenience our first days here. So I wanted to go through everything, and get straight what we have.

The weathered wood shed, Larry told me, one of his and Shirley's other brothers (fourteen kids in their family!) once operated as a lemonade stand. Complete with flip-down serving counter, still there with hinges. I organized it as a garden shed, with garden tools and furniture.

The other shed I worked on, designed to look like a miniature red gambrel barn, is a common type in the area, made by the local Mennonites. I organized it for general utility and household storage, for now.

In the back corner of that shed, I found an old, cast-iron stove. I don't know if it literally weighs a ton, but I couldn't budge it! I suspect it's from the mid-to-late twentieth century, when one of the H. brothers or Papa H. still lived in the cabin.

I like its streamlined, modern shape and would like to learn more about it. But haven't been able to find any pictures or info about stoves like it yet. It's stamped "U S," which Karl suggests signifies Army surplus. I found also, there is an long-running stove maker called US Stove Company.

The stove has a coat of possibly decorative paint on it, and I'm not sure if that's safe to fire up. But otherwise, it looks in possibly ready working condition, no cracks. There are two old chimneys in the cabin. Perhaps one could be re-opened, and we could have stove heat as a main heat source. I don't actually know what fuel the stove takes though - wood, coal?

Get the flash player here: http://www.adobe.com/flashplayer

Post a Comment