This is my bit of a blog. Rambling words about rambling days. No focus and nothing ambitious. I seem to write most about local color, nature, and animals, and there is an incomplete chunk about my road trips of 2011.

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Vocabulary and Idioms Heard, Updated

You eat all your vegetables.
You're tall.

Dinner
Lunch

To put up
To can or preserve

Tags
License plates

"He don't own him."
He doesn't acknowledge they are related.

Home place
House where a person grew up.

"He's like a li'l banny rooster."
That is, a bantam rooster. Regarding a little, old ladies' man. I believe the same speaker called the same man a catbird also. But I'm not sure I caught that correctly.

"Now, I was gettin' a little hot under the collar."
During a tale of protracted frustration with the Division of Motor Vehicles

Hot cakes
Pancakes

Camp
Little vacation home, probably not insulated or intended for year-round occupancy

Post a Comment